DAQ needs

C. Brooks cbrooks1 at tqci.net
Wed Jul 19 19:57:09 GMT 2000

I've built a couple one off DAQ systems for people using PCMCIA DAQ and 5B
signal conditioning modules. I went this route because of speed issues. I
would suggest the following companies for a start.

http://www.computerboards.com
http://www.ni.com
http://www.iotech.com
http://www.lptek.com/
http://www.dataq.com/
http://www.keithley.com/
http://www.national.com

LPTek is going to be the most cost effective solution for the number of
channels/sample rate you want. They offer quantity discounts as well. If
you're going to be doing any suspension monitoring you'll want a much faster
sampling speed and the LPTek system may not be able to keep up, likewise for
individual cylinder events.

Also, try to do your filtering in hardware. It makes the software MUCH
easier to write and doesn't use nearly as much over head as software
filtering. And don't forget to use a low pass filter on the input to
eliminate aliasing issues.

Charles Brooks
Mid-Atlantic Speed Shop
http://www.massmotorsports.com