O2 sensor is actually a temperature sensor???

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Thu Jul 20 04:48:31 GMT 2000

>   From what I remember from an Auto Electrical class I took in college in
>about 88, an 02 sensor is actually a temperature sensor, is this still the
>case?  If so, how do you know if the sensor you install in your exhaust is in
>the correct place to indicate correctly?

Basically, either they taught you wrong, or you remembered wrong. An EGO
(Exhaust Gas Oxygen) or HEGO (H for heated) sensor is an electrochemical
cell that detects the presence or absence of oxygen in the exhaust stream,
but which only functions decently above certain fairly high minimum
temperatures.

Greg