O2 sensor is actually a temperature sensor???

Eric Payne uniteknik at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 20 05:14:51 GMT 2000

>Basically, either they taught you wrong, or you remembered wrong. An EGO
>(Exhaust Gas Oxygen) or HEGO (H for heated) sensor is an electrochemical
>cell that detects the presence or absence of oxygen in the exhaust stream,
>but which only functions decently above certain fairly high minimum
>temperatures.

This is correct in the zirconium type oxygen sensors, however the titania
type sensors are constructed differently and have a few different
properties. For instance, the Titania sensor does not have to be heated to
600 farenheit in order to output a reliable reading.  Also, instead of using
the current flow between two platinum plates, it uses a semiconductor that
changes resistance in relation to oxygen content in the exhaust.

I guess nitpicking isn't the best way to make my first post, oh well, I'm
not like this all the time. =)

Hi list.

Eric Payne