"Normal" O2 sensor

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Tue Jul 25 23:31:02 GMT 2000

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:59:42 -0400, "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
wrote:

>Speaking of protection from the dragons breath.
>How about using the spark plug antifoulers to space it more out of the
>exhuast stream, when using oem mountings?.

You have to try this to see it in action. Ask me how I know that. :)  In
the several brands of foulers I've tried, it's a VERY very tight fit for
the sensor tip. Try one and you'll see wadamean.

Actually, I think some of the older Bosch sensor's tips simply won't
even FIT at all down into an antifouler bore, they're too big around
(the tips, not the threads of course), but with the Honda/NTK ones they
JUST barely fit. I'd worry about the sensor seeing much of ANY exhaust
gas. Heh heh.

What we do for EGOR's Proboscus is we use a particular brand (no, don't
ask; obviously a "trade secret" :) of O2 bung that's made (thank you
thank you) surprisingly deep, so when mounted in the proboscus, just the
right amount of tip sticks out, and none of it is ever directly in the
stream, but plenty of turb/swirl room around it. The hope of course is
that you get the gas, but not the particulates or droplets.

Dunno, like I said before, the "other" popular theory is that somehow
some of the sensors end up "hidden" from the nasty stuff due to the
shape of flow in the exhaust. Fronkly, I find that hard to believe, as
Maxwell Smart woulda said. Hey, kinda like a cornering phenom maybe? The
lighter gases like CO, H, O2 can make it around a tight corner but
vaporized coolant and vaporized and lead-oxides are heavier and can't.
Heh. Particles I can see hitting the walls and missing a sheltered
object, but gases? NAH, couldn't be (now watch, some smartypants will
prove me wrong :).

Gar