555 EFI competition

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Sat Jul 1 00:21:28 GMT 2000

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:00:31 -0600, bearbvd at cmn.net (Greg Hermann)
wrote:

>VW, Saab, Volvo. Funny part on the Volvos, with their NON-cross flow heads,
>was how easy it was (is) to vapor lock them, despite the electric pump at
>the back (not an in-tank). The fuel manifold on the head would pick up
>enough heat that the fuel returning to the tank was WAY hot. Eventually,
>under heavy load, the tank full of fuel would about come to a boil, and the
>electric pump wouldn't be able to even draw it over the hump out of the
>tank!

Yeah, we (Shannen, et al) discussed this recently onlist.. Just because
most modern return systems largely avoid it, dudn't mean vapor lock is a
myth. It DID/can happen.

>Do this
>thing with a DIS, and it might be pretty kewl for an XA app.

Already done, dood. Nah I'm not interested in reverse engineering
something we have working in more simplified form already for XA. My
interest was in showing that EVEN with some moderate *additional* stuff
to take care of enrichment transients for autos, a perfectly driveable
system CAN be put together for autos. Well, actually I was using
BruceR's example as an existence proof that said had already been done.
Didn't realize it was re-living the entire D-jet saga.

Maybe NOT emissions-worthy. But that's a different issue.

>Should be an equally small deal
>to give the pilot a pot to adjust his mixture by EGT with. The MAP sensor
>that they used WAS aneroid, so altitude was already covered.

Yup, no problem, that's exactly what we've done with KEFI. In fact, in
XA, even cold start enrichment is handled manually. AND preferred that
way. :)

Gar