555 EFI competition

Gerald Pelnar wd0fyf at mpks.net
Sat Jul 1 04:02:25 GMT 2000

> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:03:49 -0700
> From: garwillis at msn.com (Garfield Willis)
> Subject: Re: 555 EFI competition
>
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:44:05 -0600, bearbvd at cmn.net (Greg
Hermann)
> wrote:
>
> >The whole thing sounds a whole lot like Cad reverse
engineered a Bosch
> >D-Jetronic.
>
> Hey dood, you're right. Here's a quote I just picked up
from Motor Age:

> "EFI began its rise to absolute domination of gasoline
engine fuel
> delivery with Bosch’s D-Jetronic system, which was
offered on a number
> of European imports in the early 1970s. As many of the
EFI savvy among
> us know, this system was adapted for use on some Cadillac
models in the
> latter portion of that decade. What you may not know is
that America’s
> Bendix Corp. was the first to manufacture this basic
system, and 100 of
> these units were placed on Chrysler automobiles in the
1958 model year.
> Unfortunately, these systems could not be made
practically or reliably
> prior to the development of solid-state electronics and
integrated
> circuits."

FI was a special order on Chrysler's DeSoto Adventurer in
'58.
They did end up replacing all but a very few with carbs.

> Gawd, EFI back in '58. And I thot I was a fossil.

And I thought you were a fossil, too.  :-)

Gerald Pelnar
wd0fyf at mpks.net
http://www.mpks.net/homepage/wd0fyf/
McPherson, KS