Transmission pulses

Ron Webb rwebb at gci.net
Fri Jun 2 06:21:04 GMT 2000

Hello

I'm currently using the engine from a wrecked Kia Sephia with an automatic
transmission to replace a burned up engine in an '89 Mercury Tracer (both Mazda
designs. Looks like it'll fit fine. The Tracer transmission is a manual, and I
am trying to keep that (I hate automatics in little cars)

Trouble is the ECU is too smart for my own good. Expects the transmission to
shift when it tells it to, and wants transmission pulses.

The tracer has an EEC-4, and I do not know what's in the Kia.

There are 2 ways to go - either wire the eec-4 up to the Kia engine (a problem
because the tracer had a distributor, and the Kia wants the ECU to drive spark)
or make the Kia ECU work somehow.

The Kia ECU might be able to eliminate the transmission checks (they do sell a
manual transmission model), or I may be able to wire up something (basic stamp
maybe) to lie to it.

Ideas?