Transorbs (formally Try this link)

John Dammeyer johnd at autoartisans.com
Tue Jun 13 17:00:43 GMT 2000

Hi,

Brings up the question.  You stated the Transorb holds the voltage down
until breakers trip etc.  One of the Marine suppliers lists what looks
like a large transorb to prevent the load dump from damaging the
alternator diodes.  However they imply that the alternator can be run
continuously with the battery disconnected without damaging the
alternator diodes.

Certainly in an aircraft I'd hate to have the main breaker pop and lose
fuel pump etc. just because the voltage went high.

So I guess the question is how much current needs to come out of an
alternator running at full tilt to bring the open circuit voltage back
down to 'safe' levels?  I can see a couple of failure scenarios
happening here. (perhaps there are more).

1. Alternator wire breaks from alternator to battery and there is now no
load on alternator.  Normal situation here is alternator fries diodes
due to overvoltage.  Does High power transorb protect alternator until
aircraft or boat or car reaches home port?

2. Battery wire not properly connected to battery and battery becomes
disconnected.  Alternator and entire electrical system experience high
voltage.  Would not the fuel pump provide enough of a load to keep the
alternator voltage low enough or safety?  Would Transorb be any better?

Comments?

Regards,

John Dammeyer