Fuel Cooling Intake Air

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Jun 14 02:28:48 GMT 2000

> > Anyway, was thinking, rather then using water at the intake side of the
> > Intercooler, why not use fuel there.
> Great balls of fire! That's why *I* wouldn't. One intake backfire and.....
If you're brave, go for it!

Properly tuned, and maintained, I have yet to have a EFI'd engine backfire..
It would activate til needed meaning not before several PSI of boost.  If
you have a backfire under boost, this is the least of your problems.

>  Evaporates at a lower temp., and
> > should make for a real nice way of adding more fuel when I want it.
Mind
> > you it's primary goal is charge cooling.  There'll probably be a 7th
> > injector for a shoot of fuel up top or for spooling up the turbo,
without
> > having to get into the code side of things.
> How is that fuel going to spool the turbo. Please enlighten a fellow boost
junky.

Lots of fuel, way retarded timing. Creats after burning, ie fuel burning
post combustion chamber.  Enough heat to drive the turbo, withoout the
engine actually being under load to do it.

> I take it this is a GN/t-type?

Ol 1227148 controlled one..

> Does adding fuel farther upstream really help cool the intake charge?

To turn liquid to gas takes energy, the energy removed from the air drops
its temp.

 Or does it displace air?

The purpose is just like that of the intercooler, dropping temp..  In theory
the measured boost should drop slightly.

 Or does it just reduce the in cylinder cooling that it would have done?
I've been thinking too much too:)

The cooler the intake charge the cooler the intial chamber temp is., and the
less likely to detonate.
Grumpy