EGT gauges

Jörgen Karlsson jurg at pp.sbbs.se
Wed Jun 14 20:43:43 GMT 2000

> I am in the process of rebuilding an engine.  I am looking at putting
> an EGT gauge on the new setup.   I would like a fairly easy way to
> read all 8 cyliners and possibly log some of the data (maybe with
> rpm).

Have you checked www.westach.com they have lots of different EGT gauges, but
I have heard that they somtimes need a tap of the finger to jump to the
right reading.

I have found a good probe from vdo, it is available from Applied Technology
and Research for around $29, it is very quick, but still rugged enough to be
used upstream of a turbo. Only make sure that you get the one with the
narrow tip, they had a thicker version earlier that was pretty slow. If you
are satisfied with one meter, you might want to try the one from Autometer,
it is very nice. One funny thing is that the response time with this meter
and the vdo probe is four times faster then with vdo's gauge! Autometers
gauge is temperature compensated I don't think that vdo's meter is
compensated, I know that Westachs aren't. Westach has an inexpensive probe
selector switch.

I think that Autometer also has a dual EGT gauge.

If you are into building something you might want to check the BX-24,
www.basicx.com it is a microcontroller programmed in basic. Very easy to
start with, they also has lcd displays that is easy to work with. I will
probably use this when I build my temp logger, but I will not need it until
next season. The signal conditioning of the probes is not to be taken
lightly, the signal is very weak and need to be amplified a great deal.
Offset errors on OPamps will have to considered. And to measure all eight
cylinder, you will need to use a digital interface reference temp sensor for
the cold junktion.

Jörgen Karlsson
Gothenburg, Sweden.