EGT gauges

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Wed Jun 14 21:15:31 GMT 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, [iso-8859-1] Jörgen Karlsson wrote:

> Have you checked www.westach.com they have lots of different EGT gauges, but
> I have heard that they somtimes need a tap of the finger to jump to the
> right reading.

I looked at theirs.   I am more hoping for digital gauge for this sort
of thing, theirs looks like it could be rather difficult to read.

> I have found a good probe from vdo, it is available from Applied Technology
> and Research for around $29, it is very quick, but still rugged enough to be
> used upstream of a turbo. Only make sure that you get the one with the
> narrow tip, they had a thicker version earlier that was pretty slow. If you
> are satisfied with one meter, you might want to try the one from Autometer,
> it is very nice. One funny thing is that the response time with this meter
> and the vdo probe is four times faster then with vdo's gauge! Autometers
> gauge is temperature compensated I don't think that vdo's meter is
> compensated, I know that Westachs aren't. Westach has an inexpensive probe
> selector switch.
>
> I think that Autometer also has a dual EGT gauge.

It sounds like the pieces may all be there.  8 vdo sendors, two
switches and 2 single gauges or a dual gauge of some sort.   I did not
realize that the thermocouples used by each manufacturer was pretty
standard.

> If you are into building something you might want to check the BX-24,
> www.basicx.com it is a microcontroller programmed in basic. Very easy to
> start with, they also has lcd displays that is easy to work with. I will
> probably use this when I build my temp logger, but I will not need it until
> next season. The signal conditioning of the probes is not to be taken
> lightly, the signal is very weak and need to be amplified a great deal.
> Offset errors on OPamps will have to considered. And to measure all eight
> cylinder, you will need to use a digital interface reference temp sensor for
> the cold junktion.

Building the hardware does not really scare me that much, I just don't
know that I want to.

Any idea on the life of these probes?

				Roger