DIY_EFI Digest V5 #218

Flanagan, Stephen CECOM RDEC STCD Flanagan, Stephen CECOM RDEC STCD
Thu Jun 15 14:27:33 GMT 2000

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:55:59 +0100
From: "TVS" <TKMVS at clara.net>
Subject: Re: keeping a turbo spooled/energy management

> In a more general sense I think it'd be interesting to discuss
> any other ways to keep a turbo spooled up, especially ones that
> make more efficient use of things we might already have.

-I haven't given this much thought... so I apologise now if there is a very
- good reason not to do this....
-Why not dump the air back in to the exhaust before the turbo? This would
-reduce the exhaust temp. and hence the turbos temp. Also, the extra air
-would expand so spinning the turbo faster..? Even dump some more fuel in
-there as well, but that might kill the turbo! Toby.

If you want to keep the turbo spooled, you better keep it hot, it is not air
flow
that spools the turbo, it is thermal expansion, the more the heat the
better, and
yes dumping more fuel will help, it will burn in the headers and its
expansion
will aid in spool.  Cool air I think would kill the spool.

sf