EGT gauges

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Fri Jun 16 14:04:50 GMT 2000

On Wed, 6 Jan 1988, espen hilde wrote:

> Hi!
> Looks like I am finaly getting my boat on the water....
> I need some egt`s to check if the Digital efi boxes are spot on for the
> engines,(4egt)+2rpm +2map. I can not afford the racepack ,if you are making
> a design like you point out below, I am wery interested in making one
> myself if you would share how to.
> Thanks
> Espen

I am looking into it, it does not look that hard.

For the data logging part, how many samples per second (per sensor)
do others think would be good?     And how long should it be able to
store data?   And what other inputs does it need (rpm probably, maybe
mph and tps)?   I need enough info to be able to coordinate the EGT
data stream with the diacom data stream.

I am thinking I want at least 1000sps capability, as that should give
me 10 samples per rpm at 6000rpm, so I believe (if the EGT sensor is
fast enough-the ones from exhaustgas/racepak claim to be fast engouh
to catch a miss at 8000rpm) I would later be able to adjust this to
count misses and find other issues.    I am also thinking that I want
as much memory as possible to log the samples.  I expect to need to
use the digital outputs on whatever I am using to address the memory
in odd ways (read probably 2 or 3 part addresses to pick bank).

On the VDO probe, does anyone have any suppliers for the part (with
phone numbers), and/or part numbers for the given probe?    I am
putting a new engine, and want the get the new headers plumbed for EGT
sensors (so I really need 8 of the weld in fittings), before I get the
headers coated.

All of the EGT sensors I have found appear to be either 7/16-20
thread, or 1/4NPT.

			Roger