Bosch Motronics V Rover GEMS

Roderick Warner Roderick_Warner at notes.teradyne.com
Fri Jun 16 14:07:52 GMT 2000

From: "Rich M" <rsrich at cwcom.net>
Subject: RE: Bosch Motronics

Hi Rod,
I don't think I'll be able to help much at the moment, my knowledge is
limited to experience of 'standard' system operation, I have yet to delve
into the inner workings (apart from having had the lid off a few to have a
look of course!). I think you may well run into some interesting challenges
with a controller from a 525 6-cylinder engine running a V8?
Are you aware of the Rover GEMS syatem which is used on the later Range
Rover and Land Rover V8 models, 1994 onwards? Maybe this could be some
interest - controls both ignition and fuelling including distributorless
ignition. The application includes the 4.6L version of the Rover V8 so
should have a bit of 'headroom' to deal with tuned versions of the 3.5L
which I'm guessing you probably have?

Good luck

Rich.

Rod Warner:-

Hi Rich

     Thanks for the thoughts - you are right re the 6>8 cyls , but as it is
batch fire then  other than fitting drivers capable of handling  4 injectors at
a time  and playing with the maths  for the pulses per rev - it shouldn't be
unsurmountable. The main reason I am interested in using the Motronics is that
there is more info around and it has an 8051 processor and EPROM  and I have
access to someone who did some work for Porsche on these.
      Having said that I would not rule out a GEMS  system -- but is there any
info to allow diy programming ? .  A quick search of the web didn't reveal much
of interest.

                    Rod