Improper DIY_EFI behaviour

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Fri Jun 16 19:29:11 GMT 2000

>Garfield is offering a reference to a tool that can be used to diagnose the
>effectiveness of an efi design.  After you have the design up and
>running,  an air fuel module is just the ticket; you can now adjust the a/f
>for 12.3 in the power ranges, and 13.7 for cruise ranges, 14.7 if you want
>fuel efficiency.  You have two options: spend a unknown amount of time and
>money developing an a/f meter, or use a commercially available tool.  This
>list is diy_efi, not diy_air_fuel_module.  Garfield is offering a tool, not
>promoting a product solely for his own personal gain.

I have to agree here, at least in part. Gar has a BUNCH of expertise on A/F
sensors which he has shared here, willingly. He has tried to help at least
one guy who wasted (at least) a set of pistons through ignorance of the
intricacies of the NTK sensors and how to drive them. He has also tried to
help a bunch of us avoid the (rather easily attained) possibility of
trashing a rather pricey (even if bought the right way) sensor. These
actions hardly strike me as being motivated by the potential for personal
gain, nor do I think they should so strike anyone else!

I don't blame Gar a bit for taking offense at someone else acting like a
know-it-all but presenting bogus info when Gar has taken the time to share
his hard won expertise on UEGO sensors with us gratis! There is altogether
too much bogus info on this list that is passed off as being worthwhile,
and perhaps it is time for those of us who know better to stomp on some of
it more emphatically!

The fact is that Paul's info on the WBO2 sensors has an odor about it
similar to what exists around a cattle feed lot!

As another for instance--in the reply above--while I agree with the defense
of Gar--there are other blatant errors in the post!

While 12.3 is a decent A/F ratio for a turbo or supercharged motor with an
average combustion chamber design, 13.2 to 13.7 is more like it for best
power with a REALLY GOOD chamber design, maybe even a fuzz leaner if the
engine is NA! It damn sure isn't a decent  cruise range A/F ratio.
Stoich--14.7 --is what you want if you are trying to make a 3 way CAT
function properly, but it is not even remotely what you want for best
economy cruise, even with an average chamber shape!

If you want to get the high cruising mileage--15.5 on up to 17.5 or even 18
A/F ratio is what will get you there. Naturally--you will need a really
good chamber design and probably some thermal coatings to get up into the
leaner reaches of that range reliably!

Greg