Honda/NGK O2 sensor part # versus Horiba/NGK O2 sensor part #s

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 17 03:44:31 GMT 2000

Garfield Willis tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Ya know, I've been watching the events of the last few days with a sad
> bit of tragic-comedic angst, from all the misinformation flying around.
> First we have a loudmouth guy pop onto the list that claims he's going
> to build an AFR interface using the Honda/NTK sensor, says all the
> necessary info is there publically for the pickins, and then puts up a
> web page in which he gives out at least THREE likely-to-be-fatal pieces
> of bullshit, regarding the pumping current range (he gives figures that

Time to sit back and count to ten. Very slowly.

Your reaction, though understandable is IMHO over the top.

Not having had a chance to see the "advertised" web site (can't find
it with any nameserver now that I have a few minutes to have a peek)
I won't judge the content. All I can say from the description is
that it's a collection of information available on the web and other
online resources.

So I wouldn't judge it beyond that. It's worth as much as several
days (maybe weeks) of searching online resources and collating the
information in a single place.

It is my opinion that you would have been better served simply
writing to the guy to point out the errors. At the very least he
could then annotate the content with your concerns.

> Fry pistons or sensors, you have only yourselves to blame for not
> listening well, or for being unable to distinguish fairy-tales from
> substance. I've tried to inform you as best I could. Either way, it's
> your own dang fault.

It would take a fool to blame you for their own mistakes.
Does the site in question purport to be authoritative?
You note that schematics had missing values (as they tend to with
published commercial information<sigh>) so nobody with half a clue
would build something like that anyway.

I wrote about the (published) Ip relationship of the wide-band Bosch
sensor and I do recall that your reaction wasn't exactly encouraging.

Quote:
  Argh. All I'm at liberty to say to the immediately above is "BZZZT".

Which was caused by my ignorance of any difference between NTK and
Bosch wide-band sensors. And I thank you for clearing up the
misconception.

> Last but not least, I gotta say this again; if yous guys dork with one
> of these sensors and then later expect it to work properly with EGOR,
> all bets are off. Ya been amply cautioned.

It would help if you could *publish* your EGOR interface
characteristics. That wouldn't compromise your design and would
allow others to continue cooking up their ECU designs.
(Maybe I missed their publication as I've been excessively-busy
over the past month and the archives are currently unsearchable.)

> Sorry for your loss, Axel. In your case, you just got caught by a
> vendor's sneakiness; an innocent mistake. In the case of the guy
> spreading the bull about the Honda sensors, it's not innocent. When you
> claim to know something you don't, you're frigging LYING, dood.

Not if he actually believes he knows. That's a matter of being
wrong. We've all been there. I guess we'd learn about our mistakes
more quickly if people didn't refer to them as lies.

> I feel a vacation coming on. See y'all around. The times, they are a
> changin.

Not before EGOR is generally available dood! :-)

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning
Perth, Western Australia