(Randell)RE: Improper DIY_EFI behaviour

John Dammeyer johnd at autoartisans.com
Sat Jun 17 08:01:56 GMT 2000

> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:34:31 -0700
> From: Randall Young <randallyoung at earthlink.net>
> Subject: RE: Improper DIY_EFI behaviour
>
> John Dammeyer wrote:
> > So the posting from
> > Garfield Willis below bothers me.  It would be equivalent to NGK
posting
> > a comment that Paul's curves and information are wrong ...
>
> But, what if Gar is right ???

He may well be but we have only his word that he is.  He hasn't
substantiated his claim.  He behaves as a competitor worried that
someone may ruin his market by publishing information.  Examine his
posts carefully in the archives and you'll see he has told us nothing
about interfacing to the devices other than that it's real difficult and
that he finally knows what he's doing and when we all line up to buy his
sensor interface we'll see how right he was.  It's mostly marketing of
EGOR with very little substance.

> Seems to me that the "free exchange of information and ideas" includes
> saying "I don't think so-and-so's information is correct".

Of course.  That's why I support his right to keep his hard won
knowledge about HEGO sensors to himself but I'd rather see a comment
like,  "Paul's curve is wrong,  it supposed to look like this".  I'd
also like him to keep his infomercial where we keep waiting for the
price and are continually told how great EGOR is.  But wait... there's
still more...

> IMO the comment about lying was a bit "over the top", but Gar is both
> entitled to his opinion, and to air it on this list.  It's certainly
> nothing to run crying to the "list police" about.

My complaint is about the advertising and derogetory comments without a
suggestion for improvement.  As I've said,  when it comes to the actual
interface to the Honda sensor;  there is almost zero information from
Garfield.  Lots on getting the correct sensor.  (which is useful to
Garfield when we all line up to buy his product) but very little that
would help us roll our own.

> BTW, I have absolutely no basis to judge who is right.  For all I
know,
> both are.  But, once again "free exchange" includes both "this is
right",
> and "no, that is wrong".

At the moment,  this EGOR sensor is what we call Vaporware in the
electronics and software industry.  The only thing missing is the price
of the EGOR when we buy 10,000 pieces. ;-)  If he really has a good
product (and I doubt he has),  competition won't bother him.  Name
calling and poor language is always the domain of the folks on the
losing side of the debate as they have run out of facts and resort to
other techniques to dissuade.

Think of it this way.  The cars using the Wide Band Sensor (WBS) seem to
be able to keep the sensor working and therefore the car working without
too much trouble and the automobile marketplace is extremely price
sensitive (pennies count).  Other than the cost of the WBS,  I suspect
that the electronics is very inexpensive and may in fact account for
only a small percentage of the overall cost of manufacturing the Engine
Control Unit (ECU).  If that's the case,  (and I don't know if it is),
then for a home brew, roll your own ignition,  the cost of the
electronics for the WBS should be less than $15 dollars added to the
engine micro-processor.  I'm basing this 'guess' on the patent
information.  If your ECU has any kind of reporting information then
getting the O2 sensor values ends up being simple.

Cheers,

John