Horiba/NTK and ECM/NTK [was Re: Info on Honda/NTK wide band oxygen sensors]

Jason R. Haines jhaines at lingenfelter.com
Sat Jun 17 15:13:11 GMT 2000

Someone mentioned that the Honda/NGK sensors are visually different than the
Horiba/NGK sensors. To further complicate things, Horiba uses at least two
different sensors depending on the model of air fuel ratio meter (lambda
meter) that you have. The Mexa 101 and the Mexa 110 use different 02 sensors
(physically different looking at the sensor end and different connectors on
the connector end). ECM claims to sell a replacement sensor that can be used
with the Horiba models but I don't know which model or models they offer
them for and we have never tried the ECM sensor so I can't say if they
provide the same results as the Horiba sensors.

It is also interesting to note that Horiba and ECM differ slightly in how
they calculate air fuel ratio. Some of  the ECM air fuel ratio meters have a
setting that allows them to output the air fuel ratio using the same
calculations as Horiba (obviously each company claims the way they calculate
air fuel ratio is the correct method and that the other company's method is
flawed).

BTW - NTK/NGK Japan sells an AFR meter that also includes a boost channel.
They call it an "AF-Boost Meter" and I think the part number is ABM-10. I
have a flyer on it from when I went to Japan but I can't read Japanese
(luckily the Japanese seem to like to use English words and characters in
product descriptions).

Jason