microcontrollers slightly more powerful than a pic?

Chad chad at dynojet.com
Mon Jun 19 15:05:41 GMT 2000

The 68HC08 is Motorola's latest and greatest chip.  It's an 8 bit
microcontroller that is very powerful, but external addressing might be an
issue.  If you're looking to address external memory, the HC11 is the next
family to look at.  There is a little bit of external circuitry to
de-multiplex the addressing with this chip, but it can be done pretty
easily.  This guy is a little expensive, but he does have a couple of
decent eval boards and sells individual chips as well:
http://www.nwlink.com/~kevinro/products.html .  By far though, the HC12A4
is the easiest to hook up external memory to, it requires no external
demultiplexing circuitry.  I've used this for a 512K data acquisition
system before, very easy to use.  Of course, these are quite a big step
above a PIC......