Dealing with thermocouples - and building thermocoupls

Rich M rsrich at cwcom.net
Tue Jun 20 08:44:46 GMT 2000

Nice one Orin!
Yes I agree! anyone following this thread should take a look. www.analog.com
.
Wish I'd known they were available at that sort of price... I've used the
'big brother' AD594 which is fine but expensive, albeit a better accuracy.
But as most people here probably want this for exhaust gas measurement, a
few degrees here or there is no sweat! The datasheet also has a good
temerature/thermocouple voltage reference chart. The AD594 datasheet is also
worth a read for thermocouple theory and background info.
Practical note - you still need to terminate the thermocouple wires close to
the device to avoid temperature differential between the termination and
cold junction compensator to get maximum accuracy.

Rich.