Dealing with thermocouples - and building thermocoupls

Rich M rsrich at cwcom.net
Tue Jun 20 15:31:42 GMT 2000

The Analog Devices data sheet for AD594 contains some good reading on the
principles of thermocouple operation and application.
However the thermocouple is terminated, whether plugged into a proper
socket, soldered to a pcb, or screwed into a terminal block, this
termination must be close to the input pins of the IC (which incorporates
the cold junction compensation) to ensure that there is no temperature
differential between the cold junction compensation (ie. the IC) and the
termination which will create an error. This error is directly related to
the temperature differential, ie. 1deg. diff. gives 1deg. error, so we're
probably not talking big numbers. The output signal from the IC can then be
carried a distance to the microcontroller.

Rich