Honda/NGK O2 sensor part # versus Horiba/NGK O2 sensor part #s

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Tue Jun 20 15:32:10 GMT 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 02:49:35 +0200 "Axel Rietschin"
<Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com> wrote:

>>The
>> Honda/NTK sensor has a single row of holes around the tip; the NTK-oem
>> one sold with the NTK blue boxes has TWO rows of holes around the tip.
>
>My Honda sensor has two rows of holes, and at least one "direct from NTK"
>has only one row, just the opposite of what you say.
>
>http://www.ngkntk.co.jp/english/products/e_guide/sensors/p_02.html

NO Honda/NTK sensor with the part no. I gave out has two rows of holes.
I've looked at literally MANY dozens of them by now; I DO know what they
look like. On one occasion, I rummaged thru the stock on hand at the
Honda dealer that sells them to ECM, reading CAL R values on at least
two dozen of them all at once. [Statistical research, doncha know :]

This page above is showing what is promoted to OEMs like Honda. The
"instrument" sensors they sell with the NTK interface box ALL have two
rows of holes, and for the last 3 revisions of the NTK box spanning many
years back, the SAME part no. for the sensor was used on ALL variants of
the blue box.

Indeed, NTK has said for several months now that they are coming out
with a new design of both sensor and interface, that for the first time,
will NOT be backward compatible with the older ones. The suspicion is
that they are going to use the newer type (like the Honda ones).
HOWEVER, these are not yet shipping; I just talked to NTK-US this
morning about this whole affair, so I know of what I speak.

Regardless, however, since you DID have examples of gross sensor
differences in appearances, that should have been enough to tip you off
(pun intended) that you couldn't expect to plug one in for the other.

There very well may be several other NTK variants made for different
clients/purposes, all with oxygen-pump type 5 wire construction, BUT the
fact stands that the part no. of the Honda/NTK sensor I gave out DOES
fit the description I've given, and ALL of them that I have ever seen,
and that's now many, were all the same. Ditto the case with the sensors
sold by NTK for use with their interface, I've seen I think three or
four of these in person now, as well as numerous photos, and all those
sensors had two rows of holes, a completely different plug, etc.

Finally, I just can't imagine Honda shipping a completely different (in
both appearance AND function) sensor in Europe, under the same Honda
part no. as we've been using here in the US.  Anyone else bought one of
the Honda sensors in question (using the part no. I gave out) in Europe?
If so, please give us a description of it, or a picture if you can
manage it. Something missing in this story.

Gar