Archive help needed

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Tue Jun 20 16:42:09 GMT 2000

There have been many questions about the archives recently... here's an
update.

The old server was a 486 running linux.  The new server is an Alpha
running linux.  The old archive software was freeWAIS, and it doesn't
compile/run properly on the new server. Seems to be that the software
isn't "64 bit" friendly.  Unfortunately there isn't an admin that has
both the time and background to dive into fixing it.  If there's a list
member that could help bring the archives back up obviously you would
receive the undying appreciation of list members around the world.

The risk of free software is that the guy who wrote it might graduate
and get a job, and quit maintaining it.  That is apparently what
happened with freeWAIS.  So we can either try to fix freeWAIS, try to
find some other software that would fit in it's place (free or
otherwise), or set up a PC alongside the server that does nothing but
run freeWAIS.

The requirements for new software would be to be able to parse monthly
archive digests, recognizing boundaries between individual emails via
regular expressions or other means, create indices of every word in each
email, optionally creating separately searchable fields for subject,
date, author.  And it's got to be able to handle pretty large files.

--steve

Cudabob wrote:

> I've downloaded the three archives and started to puruse them. Lots
> of great information (thanks everyone), but finding and linking
> associated information is a real problem.
>
> There was, if I recall correctly, an active index for the diy_efi
> archives. Is the indexing program still available? If not,  I would very
> interested in reconstructing it.
>
> OBTW: Only two of the archives unzip properly. The efi332.zip
> gives an error msg. to the effect there is corrupt data in the
> unzipper. I download "it" a couple of time with the same results.
> Any clues?
>
> CudaBob '65 - Angels Camp, Calif
> CudaBob at workmail.com
> http://www.goldrush.com/~rhuish/