Dealing with thermocouples - and building thermocoupls

C. Brooks cbrooks1 at tqci.net
Tue Jun 20 20:35:36 GMT 2000

Hi Roger, the wire run should have only two dissimilar metal junctions  (One
for each lead). The junctions should be physically close to each other to
maintain an equal temperature for each junction. The reason for the equal
temp  is to negate any voltage bias caused by the junctions (Which act like
TC's themselves). In essence, you have three TC's total only one of which,
you are interested in.

In addition to this, the dissimilar metal junctions and the IC doing the CJC
need to be as close as possible for the same reason as above. Any
temperature difference between the junctions, or between the junctions and
the CJC will induce errors in the final output.

Oh yeah Orin about the AD597's....   THANK YOU!! I've been looking for a
single chip solution to thermocouple signal conditioning ever since the
first project!

Charles Brooks
Mid-Atlantic Speed Shop
http://www.massmotorsports.com