microcontrollers slightly more powerful than a pic?

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Wed Jun 21 08:12:45 GMT 2000

Roger Heflin wrote:

> I am probably going with a 68000, I have found a 64 pin PLCC version
> that is pretty cheap, it has lots on nice registers (8) and is fairly
> cheap from Newark.

Actually, there are 16 user mode registers, nominally split into 8 data
and 8 address registers.  This split isn't absolute.  You can work on
data in the address registers, and store addresses in the data registers.

> ALso the 68000 is faster (20Mhz), and does 32bit arithmetic.

Using a 68K instead of a PIC is like getting a Cray to replace an Eniac.
 If you really want to go with a 68K, consider some of the
microcontroller versions like the 68302.