gm altenators...and efi

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Jun 22 00:08:10 GMT 2000

$2,400 Canadian! : )

My favorite application for an older SI type alternator is an 85 or 86
Olds Cutlass Calais with 3.0 or 3.3 liter (I can't remember which)
engine and a/c.  They're rated for something like 120 Amps, and are
mostly heavy duty inside.  If you're really creative you can get them
out of the core pile at your local parts store.

The CS style alternators were prone to failures in trucks.  The
bearings would sieze, and the rotors would eventually fall out of the
front of the alternator.  I've seen radiators broken, failed trans's,
accessory mountings broken, and 2 fires started because of these hp
savin' units.  I don't think the situation's changed much, I just
don't work on trucks as often as I used to.  But if I had a car which
needed a CS alternator, I'd look into getting the "iceberg" brand rear
cover and associated parts.  Supposed to be better cooling, larger
bearings, yadda yadda.  Everything the "go faster" guy could want in
an alternator. : )

Shannen

Is it true Doc wanted to launder money in Canada, since it was worth
so much more there?