Ignition cuts for rev limits / traction control

Murphy, Ian Ian.Murphy at Arrows.com
Thu Jun 22 13:50:30 GMT 2000

It's common practice in motorsport systems to cut spark but leave fuel on.
This reduces the delay in restoring torque once you remove the cut, as you
don't need to restore the fuel puddles in the inlets. Obviously you throw
unburnt fuel down the exhaust. Road car systems use a complicated
combination of retard / injection cut along with catalyst temperature models
and the like to acheive torque reduction without emission concerns.

I should have mentioned flat-shift systems in my original post as another
application of this - cut the ignition to allow a clutchless gearchange then
bang 100% torque back on ASAP. Common practice in motorcycle-engined
hillclimbers and the like.

As far as engine stalling goes, if I'm using a VRS type crank sensor, I can
only get syncronisation pulses above a certain rpm. If the engine fails to
start, I may have a charged coil and a full cylinder, but no idea where the
engine is. Has anyone any idea how to handle this?

Ian