Multi-processor EFI

Bernd Felsche bernie at perth.dialix.com.au
Fri Mar 3 08:44:20 GMT 2000

Tom Parker writes:
>Bernd Felsche <bernie at perth.dialix.com.au> wrote:

>>If you look at the possibilities presented by high-speed
>>inter-processor busses and cheap packaging options such as SIMM,
>>then a scalable option, at least for the data-acquisition and driver
>>sections becomes attractive.

>I've heard that simm modules are not very secure and are prone to rattling
>loose.

>Not sure how much truth there is here.

I suspect that once they are properly seated, they are just as
likely to become unseated as a socketed chip - probably less because
SIMMs are locked in by "pins" through the SIMM PCB at either end and
held titled by clips to locate them onto the pins... The clips
need to be moved about 1mm before the SIMM can be tilted and the
pins disengage.

Neverthelessm, I wouldn't put the engine controls on the engine or
its subframe. There's just too much likelihood of mechanical failure
due to vibration.

Besides; hobbyists sometimes have to resort to"commercial"-grade
components which won't survive for very long in the main engine
compartment of most cars.

Production-car engine management units tend to be either in the
passenger compartment, or away from the main engine compartment in a
massive (as in having substantial mass) box on a flexible frame.
The only common exception I've heard of is the Bosch LH3, which sits
atop the vane AFM in the engine compartment. Those units are
especially "hardened" for that environment.

--
Real Name: Bernd Felsche
    Email: nospam.bernie at perth.DIALix.com.au