Data-logging

Bernd Felsche bernie at perth.dialix.com.au
Sun Mar 5 08:44:42 GMT 2000

Adrian Broughton writes:

>I would be interested to know how you go with the Lancia ECU.. I have no
>experience with these at all so I can't really help you, although I am in
>the process of designing a "piggyback" system to the stock ECU to allow
>data-logging, FCD, AFC, and water injection control, turbo-timer, remapping

That's what I'm in the process of doing as well (on a different scale)
- it's not yet on the white-board. If I can find the right connectors,
it'll plug between the current ECU (VW Digifant II) and the engine
harness, with a few other bits going off to cooling fan thermoswitches,
road-speed sensor and airconditioner pressure switches as well. You can
never have too much data!

Planning on using an Atmel AT90S/L8535 for the data acquisition and
then piping out the data using the SPI - either to a FLASH or
another processor.

Problem is; about 40 bytes of data per frame and one frame per 180
degrees of crank. The number of clock cycles available at 6000 rpm
is rather small (I need at least 1280 SPI clocks to do the 24-bit
address / 8-bit data transfer directly) and the data storage
required for a reasonable operating cycle of 10 minutes is estimated
to fill 2MB.

OTOH, I also want a limited amount of display happening so a
companion processor, which simply receives the frames for
display/logging might be an advantage, also serving as a "control
head" in the cockpit to trigger logging and maybe to adjust logging
parameters (specifically scaling) on the fly. The companion
processor could do some "compaction" as a significant amount of data
doesn't change significantly for every frame (e.g. coolant and air
temperatures).

It would also serve as a convenient point from where I could
download the logged data via a serial link - perhaps "replay" in the
control head, or even flash a new program into the data acquisition
processor.

>sensors, etc.. etc..  Details of this project will be up on my website in
>the next couple of days.

Don't be afraid to let us know when it's ready.

>Good luck with the project, and I might talk to you on the GT4 list as
>well.

>Adrian Broughton
>1990 Celica GT-Four, 1974 VW Kombi, 1967 Holden HR
>Fremantle, Western Australia

Just up the road from me.

--
Real Name: Bernd Felsche