Wire up an "A/F gage" w/o effecting existing control system?

Glen Beard gbeard1 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Mar 6 10:49:00 GMT 2000

My57brd at aol.com wrote:

> I am new to this site. Ihave a 57 tbird w a 96 camero LT1 motor and trans.
> Iused the stock eng wire loom.Removed all smog releted parts and wires. Also
> didn't use any of body control module or wiring. Hooked up Dakota inst panel,
> same cruise control, disk front brakes , firebird tilt column . Any one
> interested in the do's and don'ts I would be glad to give what ever info I
> can. I have one problem, my MIL lite comes on once in a while indicating low
> volts at bank 2 sensor 1 and 2 . Also a mas trouble code when I accelerate
> fast at all most any speed. No cat converts but installed O2 sensors in front
> of new turbo mufflers. The others are installed in manifold (stock). Any info
> would be welcomed MY57BIRD. Thankx

I believe the 'low volts at banks 1 and 2' is coming from the
fact that 1996 and later LT1's use OBD2.  This means they
actually use 4 O2 sensors.  You have the upstream ones installed
as usual, but not the downstream ones.  There are several
internet venders who sell 'simulators' to fool the computer into
thinking the second set of sensors are still there.  Here is
one:  http://racenet.net/f-body/electrical.html
They are listed toward the bottom of this page.  Not cheap, but
effective.

--
Glen Beard  95 T/A conv M6
355, Vortech, heads, cam...