Turbo speed sensor ever used ?

Chris Rhodin chris at notav8.com
Tue Mar 7 03:50:59 GMT 2000

Has anyone ever tried using a microphone in the outlet of the compressor?
I'd think you'd be able to sense the pulses off the blades that way.

Callaway had a fast response turbo system that used a valve in front of the
compressor and a bypass around it.  The valve unloaded the compressor
side of the turbo when the exhaust was low on energy.  The system I know
of used a bellcranks and such off the throttle cabel to sequence the
throttles.
It looked kinda Mickey Mouse but did reduce the lag.  If you were to servo
the turbo throttle to the turbo RPM i'd think you'd have a much better
system.
The Callaway used a one-way valve on the bypass, but an electronically
controlled one would allow you to control surge by routing aiir back through
the turbo.

Chris Rhodin