Crank angle sensor

Mike (Perth, WA) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Wed Mar 8 06:39:17 GMT 2000

At 08:13 PM 7/03/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>What do you mean by "four wire" ignition? A distributorless module (like
>Ford EDIS, and  other OEM units) that drives 2, 3 or 4 coils? You should
>be ready to go. Generally, this module will directly accept cam pos to
>sync the firing order to a crank trigger, which you already have.
>
>I don't believe the DFI does the "low voltage distributor" function, and
>you've not described if you have this component already.

For what its worth, over here in Perth, Western Australia there are many
jap cars which have a 4 wire crank angle sensor made by Hitachi or Mitsubishi
and for the most part (as far as I can see) are compatible.

Wires are (not sure of actual order though) :-

1.	Power (+12v)
2.	1 degree  pulse (actually 1/2 degree ON, 1/2 degree OFF)
3.	120 degree pulse of same width as in 2 above
	but with an extra wide pulse at the TDC position - about 3 deg wide.
	(A small piece of hardware can generate a TDC reset as the 120deg
	pulse at this point only straddles the 1 degree pulse, whereas on
	other 120 degree points its the same width but coincident.
4.	Ground

My original unit (hitachi) output change of state regardless of rotation
speed,
the other from a jap import wrecker only supply output pulses at a minimum
speed of around 100rpm - naturally both work in my car *but* the latest
needs to be turned around by about 120 degrees as the ref mark on the
teeth is in a different position - must suit a different model but works
fine in my car with correct timing and block where one tightens it etc...

Rgds ~`:o)

Mike Massen         Trading as "Network Power Systems" and "Network Computers"
Perth, Western Australia  Ph +61 8 9444 8961  Fx +618 9264 8229 (fax -> email)
Products/Personal/Client web area at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus
 (Current pics - trip to Malaysia to install equipment in jungle power site)

Some say there is no magic but, all things begin with thought then it becomes
academic, then some poor slob works out a practical way to implement all that
theory, this is called Engineering - for most people another form of magic.