Crank angle sensor

clayb clayb at sonic.net
Wed Mar 8 07:04:46 GMT 2000

> For what its worth, over here in Perth, Western Australia there are many
> jap cars which have a 4 wire crank angle sensor made by Hitachi or Mitsubishi
> and for the most part (as far as I can see) are compatible.
>
> Wires are (not sure of actual order though) :-
>
> 1.      Power (+12v)
> 2.      1 degree  pulse (actually 1/2 degree ON, 1/2 degree OFF)
> 3.      120 degree pulse of same width as in 2 above
>         but with an extra wide pulse at the TDC position - about 3 deg wide.
>         (A small piece of hardware can generate a TDC reset as the 120deg
>         pulse at this point only straddles the 1 degree pulse, whereas on
>         other 120 degree points its the same width but coincident.
> 4.      Ground

Oh, you're referring to the crank sensor. And wondering about converting an Accel
DFI/dizzy combo to DIS? (if I read you're post right). I think your Accel brain
only wants the 120 degree signals. Sequential FI requires cam position, but DIS
will be happy with the TDC signal from the wide pulse from the crank trigger.
Waste spark coils firing on exhaust anyway. You'll still need to sort the ignition
output from the Accel into a 3 channel signal, and drive coils. Many OEM "modules"
do this, I mention the Ford EDIS because it is common here in the US, and easily
adaptable.

Not sure if I'm speaking to your question, or not.

- Clay