AFM measurement/backpressure (was Turbo speed sensor)

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Wed Mar 8 14:24:53 GMT 2000

At 09:08 AM 8/03/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>(the following ref street{able}cars, and probably most race stuff):
>
>While sorta interesting, I think your off on a tangent worring about the T/C
>shaft speed.  In reference to back pressure, design a min backpressure
>exhuast of min volume, and be done with it.

mmm yes good point, an associate on a nissan's user group is making up a
3.5" dump pipe and dump to cat pipe, should get it sent over in twoweeks.

Trouble is a freeer flowing exhaust may give more propensity for overspeed,
especially since I have a very basic bleed valve arrangement without a
proper waste-gate boost controller. So knowing what it does at all - helps.

Regardless of the practical need/outcome - I'd still be interested to
see what sort of revs the damn thing actually does :) Not having much
practical experience with turbos so far other then playing with bleeds etc.

>   In the higher HP areas the T/C is more switched on and off by TPS changes
>then feathering into anyway.  Using an accurate MAP/MAF is all that is
>needed, nice additional info is IAT, Water Injection, and better tuning.

Sorry - whats IAT ?

>  What would be neat is an auxillary method of driving up EGTs for T/C
>operation without being at the expense of engine components.  But, for that
>you'd really even need to make it transistional so that when TPS changed
>there wasn't a drop, or the bog would put your nose against the windsheild.

Sorry again - EGT ? - Equivalent to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (Transfer ?)

>  There are just some designs that reguire compromise.

Yeah true, though with 1GigaHertz DSP's from TI and other smarts, ones
wish lists of avoiding compromises gets longer and longer but at the
expense of our pockets - we can still speculate (fancy name for dream ;-)

Tah,

Rgds ~`:o)

Mike Massen         Trading as "Network Power Systems" and "Network Computers"
Perth, Western Australia  Ph +61 8 9444 8961  Fx +618 9264 8229 (fax -> email)
Products/Personal/Client web area at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus
 (Current pics - trip to Malaysia to install equipment in jungle power site)

Some say there is no magic but, all things begin with thought then it becomes
academic, then some poor slob works out a practical way to implement all that
theory, this is called Engineering - for most people another form of magic.