Electronic Transmission Control

MysticZ lt1_z28 at houston-f-body.org
Wed Mar 8 18:48:36 GMT 2000

nacelp wrote:

> The 700R4/4L60 are the same basic design, the 4L the later.  Trouble in my
> book is that dumb first gear of 3.06:1.
> The 200R4 is about 2.7ish as I recall, and the 4L80 2.5:1.
> So the 200R4, and 4L80 are the better ones, in my book.  Less gear
> multiplication change during gear change, less chance of knock.  Also, more
> like a close ratio tranny of the old days.  With any 3.0+ rear gears the
> 3.06 first gear is great for lighting tires, but that's about all (other
> then AWD applications, where you need it to get all that mass acclerating).

The low 1st of the 700R4 and 4L60E are one of the strong points! It lets
you put a sane gear in the rear end (3.23 or 3.73) and still have an
efficient overdrive. While I can spin the tires at will, when I need
them to stick, they will stick. But then there is the fact that there's
12" of very sticky rubber back there... ;)
--
Steve
97 Chevy Camaro Z28, Mystic teal, A4, not stock