Electronic Transmission Control

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Wed Mar 8 18:55:19 GMT 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Swayze wrote:

> this is not an answer, but another question.
> which of the later OD  GM trans should I look for,needing only TCC  and
> 300HP+ survivability in a street driven car; 700R4,200??,4L60?,4L80? (BOP)
> my trans knowledge is from the twospeed TC powerglide days.

Any tranny with an E after it would requre the expensive computer to
control it.

THere is a 700R4 and a 4L60 (no E) that only have TCC inputs, they
also have outputs for VSS, and to tell the computer what gear it is in
(if the computer cares).   The 4L60 is basically a 700R4 so longs as
the 4L60 does not have an E after it.

My 4L60 survived for 120k with at least 20k of that with a 370rwhp
engine.   The thing that wore out was the 4th gear band and the 3-4
clutch back.   Both were though to be from excessive mileage, and not
excessive hp.

			Roger