Electronic Transmission Control

nacelp nacelp at bright.net
Wed Mar 8 22:08:10 GMT 2000

> The low 1st of the 700R4 and 4L60E are one of the strong points!

Ha, maybe in your opinion, but never in mine.
They designed that feature for the slug 305s that had trouble getting out of
their own way.
It also, allows em to run a slopey, or forgiving calibration, (you're pick)
since the engine sees so little load with all that gear multiplication to
get the mass moving.

 It lets
> you put a sane gear in the rear end (3.23 or 3.73) and still have an
> efficient overdrive. While I can spin the tires at will, when I need
> them to stick, they will stick. But then there is the fact that there's
> 12" of very sticky rubber back there... ;)

I have 3.4s in the 700R, and 3.40s in the 200R4.  I'll take the longer 1st
gear anyday.
Cruise is about a wash, gear wise.

And to do that you need to have a much wider torque band.  If it's so great
then why didn't they use it behind the GN's which for years were the fastest
cars gm built?.
Look at what is going on at the 60' mark if you drag race your 700R4.
Unless you spin it high, your about ready to shift right before the 60'
mark.  Ever wonder why some folks have such lousy 60' times when they run
them?.  While you combo may avoid these issues, I'd rather have a stronger,
more reliable, 200R4 then any 700 series.  BTW, I used both.
BTW, spinning any tire just slows ya down, so why even mention that?.
  Try a tad less width, and the rotation inertia drops also, and allows ya
to acclerate fast also.
  I'll take a 200R4 with a 10" to a 700R4 with a 12" day.
Grumpy
  The 200R4 gives you the absolute best feature of all having a dual pattern
bell housing, and light weight AL case <<G>>..