AFM measurement/backpressure (was Turbo speed sensor)

Seth sethea at mediaone.net
Thu Mar 9 02:57:44 GMT 2000

Yes, the heat energy is higher, but hot inert gases don't burn or
explode.  As you start increasing the quantity of EGR, you will increase
the charge temp, but reduce the concentration of oxygen. So at 50% EGR
for example, you could, using your numbers, arrive with 250C intake
charge, assuming no losses of heat. And 10.5% O2. Which would certainly
be hot. But probably wouldn't even light, let alone knock. And I bet
pumped, metered EGR is less that 400C.  Even EGR due to the exhaust
valve being open during the intake "event" has time to cool nad expand
further while it is waffling about in the manifold and exhaust port.

-Seth