ECT and voltage divider help?

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Thu Mar 9 19:00:30 GMT 2000

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> Although not directly applicable here, you can also use diode forward
> voltages as a reference level.  I've even used LEDs - different colour
> have different forward voltages. Also serves as an indicator and
> head-scratch trigger for others trying to figure out what you're doing.

I once bought a surplus "12 volt" power supply.  It turned out to be a
13.2 volt supply meant to run automotive radios and so on.  The "power
on" LED was used as the voltage reference.  The LED voltage varied with
the amount of current flowing through it.  This resulted in lousy
regulation, perhaps +/- half a volt.  I ended up designing my own
control electronics, using just the original transformer, output power
transistor, and case.