Turbo speed sensor going to use optics instead ?

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Fri Mar 10 06:24:05 GMT 2000

At 12:05 AM 10/3/2000 -0600, "Robert W. Hughes" <rwhughe at ev1.net> wrote:
>You might want to check your laser pointer first. Most of these are are
>pulsed, apparently to extend battery life. Point it at a wall and shake
>it back and forth. If it draws dotted lines, it is pulsed.

Yeah good point, mine is a $15 cheapy 3 cells, no cct - just resistor to
laser led, I'm getting a fast slew rate opto transistor sensor in next few
days - so will rig it up with a CRO to check, tah

>Another possibility is the laser from a busted CD player. They are
>mounted on a small driver board and operate at near infrared, about
>680nm. Check polarites on power to driver board before removing it from
>player, a lot of these things use a negative supply voltage. This is not
>a problem for something like this, as long as you connect to power with
>the proper polarity - negative input to ground, positive input to
>voltage in other words.

I suppose I'm considering that if the laser pointer works it might be a good
kit project - depends on what sort of output it has though that would make it
usable for most systems,

Tah

:) Mike