Turbo speed sensor going to use optics instead ?

Bernd Felsche bernie at perth.dialix.com.au
Fri Mar 10 06:49:49 GMT 2000

Mike writes:

>At 12:05 AM 10/3/2000 -0600, "Robert W. Hughes" <rwhughe at ev1.net> wrote:
>>You might want to check your laser pointer first. Most of these are are
>>pulsed, apparently to extend battery life. Point it at a wall and shake
>>it back and forth. If it draws dotted lines, it is pulsed.

>Yeah good point, mine is a $15 cheapy 3 cells, no cct - just resistor to
>laser led, I'm getting a fast slew rate opto transistor sensor in next few
>days - so will rig it up with a CRO to check, tah

Keep in mind that most "consumer" electronics bits are only rated to
just 55C. The laser diodes can get hot by themselves I hear - though I've
never noticed it on the few occasions where I've used a laser pointer.

A large proportion of consumer stuff dies if you leave it in the
car, in the sun. Not just plastic warping, etc, but semiconductors
"blowing" if you try to use them before they've cooled.

--
Real Name: Bernd Felsche
    Email: nospam.bernie at perth.DIALix.com.au