Turbo speed sensor going to use optics instead ?

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Fri Mar 10 15:49:59 GMT 2000

At 03:08 PM 10/3/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>>Yeah good point, mine is a $15 cheapy 3 cells, no cct - just resistor to
>>laser led, I'm getting a fast slew rate opto transistor sensor in next few
>>days - so will rig it up with a CRO to check, tah
>
>Keep in mind that most "consumer" electronics bits are only rated to
>just 55C. The laser diodes can get hot by themselves I hear - though I've
>never noticed it on the few occasions where I've used a laser pointer.

This is a cheapey and I can mount it in a relatively cool air stream,
perhaps by darwinian selection I'll replace it ;-)

>A large proportion of consumer stuff dies if you leave it in the
>car, in the sun. Not just plastic warping, etc, but semiconductors
>"blowing" if you try to use them before they've cooled.

Yeah true, depends where you put it, I have an AFM amp near the left
strut - plenty cool enough, except in our hottest summers perhaps,
wonder what you chaps in NY would do with a 45deg C day ;-)

Tah,

Rgds ~`:o)

Mike Massen         Trading as "Network Power Systems" and "Network Computers"
Perth, Western Australia  Ph +61 8 9444 8961  Fx +618 9264 8229 (fax -> email)
Products/Personal/Client web area at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus
 (Current pics - trip to Malaysia to install equipment in jungle power site)

Some say there is no magic but, all things begin with thought then it becomes
academic, then some poor slob works out a practical way to implement all that
theory, this is called Engineering - for most people another form of magic.