AFM measurement/backpressure (was Turbo speed sensor)

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Fri Mar 10 15:17:15 GMT 2000

At 07:58 AM 10/3/2000 -0700,  bearbvd at cmn.net (Greg Hermann) wrote:
>>A little EGR and you need to retard a little more over some threshold
>>and oyu need to advance again. I remember something in SAE about this
>>but it was almost 20 years ago and my memory is dynamic ;)

>What you are really saying here is that IF you have poor fuel atomization,
>a little bit of EGR helps it, and thus speeds up the burn, but after the
>atomization is helped, then the true nature of EGR--slowing down the
>burn--comes into effect.

no i didn't mention fuel atomisaton at all, yours your inference, which
may very well be valid - I just don't know, though there is some logic
to it. I guess with TBI its less of an issue, unless the EGR is plumbed in
"way' upstream from the manifold and near the TBI unit - perhaps ?

I'm not acquainted with separate EGR at all, just have vague recollections
of a couple of articles and that particular one said something about the
non-linear relationship. I suppose if we want reasonable power then minimal
EGR would be the order of the day - but if you want good power why introduce
an inert gas - better to work on cooling inlet charge, increasing octane etc.

Rgds ~`:o)

Mike Massen         Trading as "Network Power Systems" and "Network Computers"
Perth, Western Australia  Ph +61 8 9444 8961  Fx +618 9264 8229 (fax -> email)
Products/Personal/Client web area at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus
 (Current pics - trip to Malaysia to install equipment in jungle power site)

Some say there is no magic but, all things begin with thought then it becomes
academic, then some poor slob works out a practical way to implement all that
theory, this is called Engineering - for most people another form of magic.