AFM measurement/backpressure (was Turbo speed sensor)

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Sat Mar 11 17:11:15 GMT 2000

Didn't se your email till now, :(

At 12:43 PM 8/03/2000 -0500, "nacelp" <nacelp at bright.net> wrote:

>> Thats very similar to what I had in mind, as its quicker and easier then
>> an ECU update (at the time).
>
>Doesn't Dick Smith make a timing computer of some sort?.

Couldn't see it and I'd rather make my own adjustment,

>As I recall they had a dissy point eliminator that included a programmable
>devise, that or MSD (if they sell in Oz) has a multistep retard that is
>threee stages, that you can add together for like a total of 5 steps.  Use a
>MAP sensor/comparator to trigger it.

Sounds interesting, can't see it in the cat at moment, my setup has a hitachi
crank sensor with two pulse output, not knowing about the DS product, I
can't see how it would function without intercepting the pulses..

>What ya gonna do for the extra fuel?.

Have the faciltiy to run an extra injector off the AFM amp, when it reaches
a trigger point a PWM goes to extra injector.

>> Run a diaphragm off the boost to a link which rotated the dizzy, the
>linkage
>> is real simple and a lever arm of varying lengths would give varying
>> amounts - my ECU apparantly doesn't retard timing at all. It was only
>> meant for 7psi boost (3L, six T3 standard 60trim) so the simple mechanical
>> setup would be ideal - though it would look strange on that model ~`:!
>>
>> Trouble is I really don't know how much retard I need for what boost :(
>
>Easy start with too much and tune from there.
>
>> Any idea (as a starting point) how much retard I should have from say
>> 7psi to 10psi on a 3L six ?
>
>I'd start at 10 and see where ya are.  What about fuel?.

OK, that sounds good, I'm using 'premium unleaded' thats about 96 octane
or thereabouts - regular unleanded is about 92 - there's a new fuel from
sheel coming out soon called optimax - I hear its 98 octane and supplies
more bang per ml - Shell's tests indicate improved economy by up to 15%
but I have yet to see it in Perth or findout how much it costs.

Tah,

Rgds

Mike Massen

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia) for
container based RAPS...   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

My editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html