Electronic Transmission Control

Doug Dayson djdayson at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 12 07:57:54 GMT 2000

Hi Charles...

Of course I'm aware of the power turbo motors can make...my reply was aimed at
the original thread's discussion regarding a mild naturally aspirated SB Chevy...

Later...Grumpy and I upped the ante somewhat to include "mild" GN's etc...the
one running high 12's...not the ones running high 7's or however fast the
fastest are these days...???

Of course turbo motors can be built hotter...and TT SB's never entered the
discussion...yet anyway...(:>)

So...my comparison regarding the shock on the trans was between a "mild"
naturally aspirated 400ci or better V8 and a "mild" turbo six...remember that
I specified a "mild" streetable converter so the turbo six would not have the
turbo's humming at launch...so without the benefit of a higher rpm launch the
"mild" 3.8 turbo six isn't gonna hit the trans as hard as the "mild" 400ci or
bigger V8...

As you know a "mild" naturally aspirated 400ci or better can easily make 400
ft/lbs around 2000 rpm too...

The original discussion was between "stock" hi perf (GN...Vette etc) 700
series and 2004R's in mild streetable high 12 sec cars...

Take care...

Doug

C. Brooks wrote:

> I keep hearing/seeing people say that and I can't help but wonder. Have
> these people ever seen a dyno run with a turbo motor, be it a Buick 3.8 or a
> TT small block Chevy?
>
> I've seen several and unless the motors were race only, they made very large
> amounts of torque from the git go (Especially the TT V8's). I know of a
> TType here locally (D.C. Metro area) that makes 400Ft/Lb's at 2000 RPM.

<snip>