CNG Vehicle in Perth, bit of an update

Bernd Felsche bernie at perth.dialix.com.au
Tue Mar 14 02:23:29 GMT 2000

Bill the arcstarter writes:

>Mike wrote:
>>Now this is interesting :)

>>The ford they run is a six cylinder, (4.2L?) and runs the *same* fuel rail
>>as the original petrol variant. The additions are:-
>>
>>a.	Injectors are high flow methanol units supplied by Bosch, I
>>	will try to get a part number. Note: They operate at 200KPa
>>	fuel rail pressure and the fuel rail is only dense gas (methane
>>	mostly) at that pressure.

>So thats about 28 psi.  Pretty tame.

You don't need the pressure to cause a fine spray to vapourise the
fuel - my guess.

[snip]
>>f.	Injectors only work for 60,000 Kms before failing. Reason suggested
>>	by Ford is that they are designed for fluid with that cushioning
>>	effect - running dense gas makes them wear and fatigue more.
>>
>>g.	Vehicle doesn't have dual fuel capability, injection system being
>>	tuned/setup/fixed only for CNG.

>Nope.  All Ford parts fail at 60,000 Kms. :( (JUST KIDDING but it does
>explain a few things...)

That would seriously offset the cost benefits of CNG. Fuel injectors
are not cheap. At roughly AUD$1000 replacement cost, that re-classifies
injectors as a consumable in the same order of magnitude as the fuel!

--
Real Name: Bernd Felsche
    Email: nospam.bernie at perth.DIALix.com.au