CNG Vehicle in Perth, bit of an update

Seth sethea at mediaone.net
Tue Mar 14 02:41:59 GMT 2000

Hmm, ran a gaseous CNG injected Dodge Neon in school.  Rail pressure was
150 to 200 psi. If I can convert correctly, that's ~ 1.0-1.3
megapascals. Container was used at 3600 psi. I believe it was carbon
fiber wrapped polyethylene.  Might have been PTFE, I can't
remember.Walls of pressure vessel were ~1.5 inches thick, mostly
plastic. Engine ran at 10.0 and 14.5 to one compression ratio. (swapped
pistons one year) 14.5:1 produced excessive NOX, without a drastic
increase in power.Don't rmember hom much ignition advance it used, but
it could take lots before pinging. Had a problem at WOT with flooding.
Gaseous CNG displaced enough air to flood out. Had to engineer an
electronice "ramp in" for the throttle. Acceleration enrichment ( in the
stock ECU) was what did it, IIRC.

pics are here:

http://vri.etec.wwu.edu/viking_25.htm

-Seth