CHamber isolation ?

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Wed Mar 15 18:34:54 GMT 2000

Hi all,

I notice on all engines I've worked on that aerodynamics in the crankcase
aren't given much attention in production engines (fair enough for cost),

I have the opportunity to work on and modify the crankcase on a straight
six (RB30ET) block and wondered if its worth trying chamber isolation in
the crankcase.

ie. Rather then having crankcase gases move around between chambers from
various pistons etc, why not isolate each chamber with baffles (other
then a small hole for oil outlet). That way on the descending stroke, the
crankcase gets pressurised and this 'power' is returned on the compression
cycle - or at least some of it - allowing for some oil outlet through the
hole naturally. The overall blowby should still allow the oil to exit
and not upset the bearings...

In essence, each chamber in the crankcase has its own oil hole(s) into
the main crankcase (baffle added so that each chamber has its own mini
crankcase slightly abive the main crankcase)...

Is this completely off beam - or do the F1 guys do this sort of thing
at their usual 16,000 rpm engines  ?

I'm only interested actually as its quite easy to do and would make an
interesting experiment...

Tah

:) mike