hall sensor simple questions

nacelp nacelp at bright.net
Mon Mar 20 15:27:38 GMT 2000

GM has used the distributor pulse (only) for EFI for hundreds if not
thousands of applications.  They set the intial timing at say 6d  BTDC, so
that in a faliure mode there is enough timing for the engine to at least
sorta run to get you home.  They use a matching number of distributor
reference pulses to the number of cylinders.  (also, since it's reluctor
style there is some self advancing characteristics that help with that).

Now for SEFI (timing or fuel control), then you need an addition sensor to
sync things to number 1, or what ever your reference cylinder is (not all
engines are built on number one, is why I mention that).

Now for individual cylinder timing control in a feedback system (ie knock
sensor), then you even to sync the knock sensor to cylinder, and/or measure
crank shaft accleration rates.  Which means a very high resolution sensor.
Grumpy