O2 sensor question

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Fri Mar 24 05:46:30 GMT 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:28:41, "Mike (Perth, Western Australia)"
<erazmus at wantree.com.au> wrote:

>Well its mostly an English slang for a friendly  "Thanks", seems to have
>been adopted generally in Oz, given our large intake of Poms (English
>immigrants). Generally when you've lived here for a while one tends to
>get casual about communications - not just on email, most ozzies don't
>stand too much on ceremony or protocol (except when the queen visits;)
>[The real sweaty stuff I leave for my GF ;-]

OK,

tah

Geez, I'm having to deal with London rhyming slang and now this! To
Londoners, us yanks are "septics"!? didyaknow? Picture that. :)  But OK,
yeah, a very informal "tanks" is the way I understand you to mean. Good.

>Where does the platinum type Bosch O2 sensor come into this, is that the
>Nernst type you mention ?

PLATINUM? I dunno nuthin bout any platinum O2 sensor. Anyone? Most of
the current technology is using varying forms of zirconium oxide, ZrO2.

>mmm OK - interesting - please update me as soon as you can on your product,

It's been an onNoff regular on DIY for the last year or two, but just
stay tuned and you'll keep on it.

>mmmm - I'd like to know where I could buy a sensor off the net, our local
>parts dealers seem to add about 300% markup (on anything) and then another
>100% if its anything technical or elctronic :(

Yeah, this IS perhaps a problem for yous guys in said regions. I was
referring to a place for those in the US, where they can buy via 800
number, any Honda part at decent discount. It's www.hparts.com and
anyone knowing a better, please do give a shout. We may also have some
small difficulty in exporting EGOR to those 'down undah'. But where
there's a will...well, ya know. Because the sensors are stock Honda
parts, we don't want to have to carry inventory with the obligatory
mark-up, so we'll be recommending EGOR clients just go buy their sensor
locally, or via www. We won't be selling them...makes no sense for us to
play Honda distributor and "keystone". If you want your sensor
"reference-gas calibrated", we'll be offering a service to do that for a
small fee. But normally, just the regular free-air calibration feature
already built into EGOR will be sufficient for most all uses. You plug
your new sensor into EGOR, do the free-air calibration step, and you're
ready to sniff gases. That simple.

>Ok thats for that - interesting, I suppose it would be almost as good
>and cheaper to go for two conventional sensors. One before and one
>after the cat and do a bit of maths,

You've got your research before you, I'm afraid. Whatever sensors you
put in either place, if they're the "switch type", they'll not be much
use for determining burnmix, whether pre or post-cat. And whenever you
want to measure mixture, it will almost always be during open-loop ops
on any conventional EFI ECU or at significant throt pos with carbs, so
then the cat will be out of the picture anyway. Hence, pre-cat vrs.
post-cat idn't gonna get you the info you seek either. Basically, it's
down to this: if you want to measure AFR, you hafta have an instrument
capable of said measurement, and generally where you want those
measurements most, the cat is outta the picture anyway. Currently, you
either pay the big $$$, or you wait a bit, and get an EGOR on the cheap.
That's the whole raison d'etre for EGOR. Nuff said.

Gar